An earthquake was felt through much ofnorthern Italy on Tuesday, just over a week after a tremor struck the region killing seven people and destroying or damaging hundreds of buildings.
At least one person was killed by a 5.8magnitude quake that shook northern Italy on Tuesday, Italian media and local officials said.
Local media also said some people had been injured in the quake, the second to hit Northern Italy in just over a week.
“There are victims … The situation is very serious, some people are stuck under the rubble,” Alberto Silvestri, the mayor of the San Felice sul Panaro told Italian television channel SkyTG24.
Italian media said the latest earthquake caused more buildings to collapse in the areas already affected by the previous quake, where thousands are still sleeping outdoors in tents.
Television station Rai said some schools had been evacuated as far south as Florence.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the epicenter of Tuesday’s 5.8magnitude earthquake, which struck at depth of 9.6 km (6 miles), was less than 30 km (19 miles) from Modena, not far from where the magnitude 6 earthquake struck just over a week ago.
Messages posted on Twitter and other social media suggested the shake was felt across northern Italy.
“We felt a very strong tremor,” said Raffaella Besola, a resident of Bologna.
The Italian civil protection department said it was carrying out checks in Modena province. REUTERS