Indian cricket team captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, surpassed the like of Sachin Tendulkar, Wayne Rooney and Novak Djokovic in Forbes’ 2012 list of richest sportsman.
Forbes’ has recently published a list comprising the 100 richest sportsman of the year with respect to their earnings. The earnings of the sportsman include their salaries, endorsement and other income that they generated during the year 2012.
According to the list, Dhoni is listed 31st, way ahead of team-mate Sachin Tendulkar (ranked # 78), Novak Djokovic (ranked # 62) and Wayne Rooney (ranked # 37).
Surprisingly enough, Dhoni earns more compared to the likes of Messi when considering the his earnings from endorsements. Dhoni earns $23 million from endorsements while the great Argentinian footballer earns $19 million through endorsements.
The list is led by boxing champion Floyd Mayweather with earnings equal to $85 million. Former #1 richest sportsman, Tiger Woods, has slipped back to number #3 with earning equaling $59.4 million.
The Forbes’ list adjudged Maria Sharapova as the richest sportswoman of the year 2012.
TOP 10 Richest Sportspersons with earnings
1. Floyd Mayweather (Boxing) ($ 85 million)
2. Manny Pacquiao (Boxing) ($ 62 million)
3. Tiger Woods (Golf) ($ 59.4 million)
4. Lebron James (Basketball) ($ 53 million)
5. Roger Federer (Tennis) ($ 52.7 million)
6. Kobe Bryant (Basketball) ($ 52.3 million)
7. Phil Mickelson (Golf) ($ 47.8 million)
8. David Beckham (Soccer) ($ 46 million)
9. Cristiano Ronaldo (Soccer) ($ 42.5 million)
10. Peyton Manning (American Football) ($ 42.4 million)
Other Prominent Personalities
11. Lionel Messi (Soccer) ($ 39 million)
26. Maria Sharapova (Tennis) ($ 27.9 million)
31. Mahendra Singh Dhoni (Cricket) ($ 26.5 million)
37. Wayne Rooney (Soccer) ($ 24.3 million)
62. Novak Djokovic (Tennis) ($ 20.6 million)