KARACHI: The Supreme Court Karachi registry has resumed the case regarding violence and unrest in the biggest city of the country here Tuesday.
Advocate General Sindh Abdul Fattah Malik submitted the report of no-go areas in Karachi upon which Justice Anwar Zaheer expressed discontentment over their performance in improving the law and order situation in Karachi.
He said had the report been comprehensive, there had been no need to hear the case again. He said that 13 months are enough to control the situation.
A five-member bench headed by Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali and comprising Justice Khilji Arif Hussain, Justice Sarmad Jalal Osmany, Justice Amir Hani Muslim and Justice Gulzar Ahmed was hearing the case at Karachi Registry.
The judges said that high ranking officials, instead of roaming around with a squad, should let the policemen do their jobs.
Justice Gulzar Ahmed said the IG Sindh should patrol the city four times a day and roam around alone, and asked how citizens would be provided protection if the IG himself roamed around the city with a squad of police out of fear.
The judges further said that the police are meant for serving the citizens, not officials.
The bench also ordered to open the barriers on the roads near Bilawal house, saying that who gave the permission to block the roads around the old US consulate building and Bilawal House?
In reply Sindh Additional chief secretary said that, We received an orders to provide security to the president house and its adjacent areas.
The hearing was resumed until tomorrow (Oct 24).