image
image
image
 
 
 

 

You are here:  Home   |   National   |   Khyber PK   |   Seven charity workers shot dead in Swabi

 

Monday 22, September 2014

 
 
 

 

Seven charity workers shot dead in Swabi

Posted by: Javeria Nasir, Uploaded: 1st January 2013



PESHAWAR: Six women and a man working for a education charity center in northwest Pakistan were killed in a drive-by shooting on Tuesday, police said.

Police said they were investigating the motive for the attack. Charity workers have been the target in the past of attacks blamed on militants.

The victims — all Pakistanis — worked for a Pakistani charity which runs health and education projects, said Abdul Rashid Khan, police chief for Swabi district where the killings took place.

They were on their way home from a local community center when they were attacked.

“Four men came on two motorbikes. They attacked their van, a Toyota HiAce.

They opened fire to the right and left of the van and fled on their motorbikes,” Khan said.

“Six women and a man have died. The driver is injured,” he said.

They were shot near a junction for the motorway which connects the northwestern city of Peshawar to the capital Islamabad and the eastern city of Lahore.

Rooh ul-Amin, who heads an umbrella organisation of charities in Swabi, said  the victims worked for Ujalla, which was formerly known as the Swabi Women Welfare Society and which ran classes on health education and employed health visitors.

He said his initial information was that five women teachers, one woman health worker and a male health technician were killed.

Police also identified five women teachers among the dead, saying they worked for a local charity that promotes health and education at a community centre in a Swabi village.

Last month, nine polio vaccination workers were shot dead in a string of attacks in Karachi and northwest Pakistan.

The killings prompted the UN children’s agency and the World Health Organisation to suspend work on polio campaigns in the country.

In April 2012 a British Muslim Red Cross worker was beheaded nearly four months after being kidnapped in the southwestern city of Quetta.

Source: AFP

For Aaj News updates, follow us on Twitter or join us on Facebook

Story first published: 1st January 2013




 
 
 

 
 


 

 






 
 

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, redistributed or derived from. Unless otherwise stated, all content is copyrighted © Copyright 2013 AAJ NEWS. All rights reserved.