TAURANGA, NEW ZEALAND: A veterinarian in New Zealand saved the life of a cat that had eaten rat poison by giving it a transfusion of dog’s blood, local media has reported.
Rory the cat was going to die without immediate action and there was no time to wait, his owner said.
“He was dying. We didn’t have time for the cat blood to arrive or be matched,” said Kim Edwards.
Kate Heller, said the procedure is not taught in vet school.
“I hadn’t heard of doing that or read about it. It’s not something you’ll find in any textbook,” Heller said.
Edwards asked her friend, Michelle Whitmore, for her black labrador’s blood knowing it could kill her beloved pet.
“I’d never heard anything like that in my life. I thought she was joking,” Whitmore told TV New Zealand.
The labrador’s blood did the trick and both Rory and Macy are now fine.
“It was one of those situations where it was a do or die so he would have died if we did nothing,” Heller said.
Edwards said her pet is showing no canine side effects.
“He’s not out fetching the newspaper or peeing on power poles or barking yet but he’s just the normal cat that we have, playful, friendly, smoochy, yeah.”
New Zealand’s 3News said cats don’t have antibodies that reject dogs’ blood, so a transfusion may buy enough time for the cat to regenerate its own red blood cells.