ISLAMABAD: District Court formally freed former Chief Pervez Musharraf from house arrest on Thursday after a court granted him bail in the last criminal case against him.
But the retired general remains under heavy guard in his villa on the edge of Islamabad because of serious threats to his life.
An Islamabad district court on Monday gave the 70-year-old bail over a deadly raid on a radical mosque in the capital in 2007, the last of the cases against him dating back to his 1999-2008 rule.
Prison staff left the house, which had been declared a “sub-jail”, on Friday after Musharraf’s legal team submitted bail bonds totalling 200,000 rupees ($2,000).
“We received written orders from Islamabad city administration this morning and we have called back the prison officials deployed at his house,” Malik Mushtaq, the superintendent of Adiala prison Rawalpindi, told AFP.
Jawad Paul, the head of Islamabad local administration, confirmed the news.
“Musharraf is a free man now, his house is no more a sub prison,” he told AFP.
Musharraf has faced charges over former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto’s murder at an election rally in 2007, the death of a Baloch leader in 2006 and the detention of judges in 2007.
He was put under house arrest in April, an unprecedented move against a former army chief in a country where the military holds huge power.
There have been persistent rumours in recent months that a deal would be reached for Musharraf to leave Pakistan to avoid the embarrassment of a former army head being tried in a civilian court.
But his lawyer Afshan Adil said Musharraf would fight the cases against him and planned to remain in Islamabad for the time being.