Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan on Thursday strongly condemned the US drone attack in Hangu and called upon Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to take a firm stand against the attacks, saying that time to play on ‘both sides of the wicket’ is over.
He also hinted that after the Hangu attack the provincial government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa would stop Nato supplies passing through the province at official level. Speaking at a press conference, he said after Hangu drone attack – first ever US predator strike in a settled area – the US can undertake such attacks in any part of the country including federal capital due to cowardness of Pakistan government.
“All these attacks are happening because the government has no guts to tell the US that it must stop this madness…you never know after Hangu the next target could a seminary in Islamabad’s posh E-7 sector,” he cautioned. The PTI chairman also expressed concern that lives of people especially Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Police were at risk as the US has now expanded its missile attacks to the settled areas.
“Nawaz Sharif did not bother to condemn Thursday’s US drone attack in country’s settled area [Hangu] which shows that he has no interest in issues confronting Pakistan [and] his only priority is his foreign trips,” he regretted. He questioned as to why the America is fighting on our land if they are our allies. “Are we tissue papers of the US that they just use us and then throw us away?” Imran exclaimed.
The incumbent government is pursuing the dual policies of its predecessor, he said, adding that Nawaz Sharif government is doing the same job as PPP regime had done by secretly allowing US to carry out drone attacks inside Pakistan. “Sartaj Aziz [PM adviser on foreign affairs] claimed on Wednesday that US has promised not to carry out any drone attack unless talks with Taliban are going on, while the drone attack within 24-hour of his statement has proved that both the parties have secretly agreed to continue the attacks,” he claimed.
Imran also criticised the government for it over-emphasis and attention on its with India instead of focusing to restore long-lasting peace in the country. About his party’s scheduled plan to block Nato supply route on November23, he said that a huge protest demonstration would be staged in Peshawar on Saturday. He appealed the nation to come out to participate in the protest if they wanted to get rid of US hegemony.
He said that drone attacks were war crimes and Peshawar High Court had already given its verdict in this regard. Khan vowed to block Nato supplies on official level saying that Thursday drone attack was carried out on KP soil therefore provincial government has the right to halt these supplies officially. He said initially PTI workers were planning to stop Nato supplies within KP but after Hangu attack, the provincial government machinery could be used for this purpose. The KP government will convene an emergency meeting of the cabinet to discuss the issue of latest drone attack in the province, he added.
Author: Zulfiqar Ahmed
Source: Business Recorder