Former Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf on Monday appeared before Accountability Court in a multi-billion rental power project (RPPs) case and the court adjourned his indictment till Dec 14.
The accountability court judge, Muhammad Bashir, directed National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to provide specific documents of the case to the counsel for Raja Pervez Ashraf before he adjourned the hearing of case till December 14.
During the course of hearing, former law minister and the counsel for Raja Pervez Ashraf, Farooq H Naek, submitted power of attorney on behalf of the former prime minister. Naek told the court that the NAB did not provide copies of the contract and documents pertaining to the reference. To which, the court directed the NAB to provide relevant documents of the case to Ashraf’s lawyer.
Raja’s counsel also told the court that his client had been accused of misusing power, but the beneficiaries of the deal were not being tried by the court. The court had also sought all relevant records by the next hearing.
The NAB investigator filed a preliminary reference against nine other accused on May 28, 2013 for alleged misuse of authority in violation of rules while awarding an unsolicited RPP at Naudero-II and shifting the equipment from one project site to another, causing a huge loss to the national exchequer.
In the light of Asian Development Bank’s audit report, the Supreme Court declared on March 30, 2012 that the RPPs contracts were not transparent and directed the NAB to initiate legal action against those who were involved in the RPPs scam. Ashraf had been accused of receiving kickbacks and commission in the RPPs when he was federal minister for water and power in 2008.
Source: Business Recorder