WELLINGTON- Disgraced former New Zealand cricketer Lou Vincent on Friday denied striking a plea bargain with match-fixing investigators and said he expected to face more corruption charges on top of the 14 already laid against him.
The England and Wales Cricket Board on Thursday charged Vincent and his former Sussex team-mate Naveed Arif with fixing the outcome of a 40-over county match between Sussex and Kent in August 2011.
Vincent, who is also accused of fixing a Twenty20 match between Sussex and Lancashire in the same month, said in a brief statement issued by his Auckland lawyer that the charges stemmed from evidence he had provided authorities.
“(Vincent) confirms the charges arise from matters he has disclosed to the authorities and he remains accountable for his actions of the past,” the statement said.
“The fact of the charges, and more are likely, dispel any notions of a plea bargain having been done as unfortunately appears to be wrongly suggested by others.”
Evidence from Vincent to International Cricket Council (ICC) anti-corruption investigators was leaked to the media last week, including allegations of fixing in five countries between 2008 and 2012.
Vincent, 35, also testified that a “world-famous international” dubbed “Player X” recruited him into the murky world of match-rigging.