ISLAMABAD: Complete shutdown will be observed on Friday on Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi’s visit to the territory.
Call for the shutdown has been given by the veteran Hurriyet leader, Syed Ali Gilani, senior Hurriyet leader, Shabbir Ahmad Shah, the Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front, Muhammad Yasin Malik, and the All Parties Hurriyet Conference, KMS reported.
The shutdown will be a mark of protest against India’s continued denial of Kashmiris’ right to self-determination and unabated human rights violations perpetrated by Indian army and police in the territory.
Syed Ali Gilani in his statement said that the Indian authorities were dividing the Kashmiris on communal lines by making separate settlements for Pandits on the Israeli pattern. He said that New Delhi was pursuing a dangerous game plan by giving permanent resident certificates to the non-Kashmiris and diluting the Article 370.
Muhammad Yasin Malik maintained that Indian Prime Minister being head of Indian government was responsible for persecution of Kashmiris and negation of their inalienable right.
Meanwhile, Srinagar and other areas of the occupied territory are undergoing tight checking and crackdowns ahead of Narendra Modi’s visit. People told mediamen that civilians were being brought down from buses and other vehicles and subjected to frisking and checking.
On the other hand, according to the data issued by the Research Section of Kashmir Media Service, today, Indian troops, in their continued acts of state terrorism, martyred 10 Kashmiris including one in custody during the last month of June.
61 people were critically injured due to the use of force by Indian police and paramilitary personnel against peaceful demonstrators while 225 civilians, mostly youth, were arrested.
The troops molested 3 women and destroyed 3 residential houses during the period.
Hurriyet leader, Nayeem Ahmed Khan, in a statement in Srinagar demanded shifting of illegally detained Kashmiri Hurriyet leaders and activists to the valley’s jails.