LAHORE: As many as 55 people, including women and children, were killed and several others injured in a suicide attack outside the Wagha Border parade area here on Sunday.
Director General, Punjab Rangers, Tahir Khan told the media that the suicide bomber exploded himself about 600 yards from the parade area.
He said the bomber could not enter the parade area due to the security cordon and he waited till the flag lowering ceremony ended. He exploded himself when people were leaving the venue in great number.
To a question, the DG Rangers said the area where attack took place was market area.
Special directives had been issued to the law-enforcing agencies to take extra security measures during Muharram, he added.
He said the political administration had been asked to keep close vigil on movement of the suspects.
He said Parachinar-Chappry Road would be closed for traffic on Muharram 9 and 10.
He said that he was in close contact with the Tesco, the Wapda and the PTCL authorities to ensure their services during Muharram.
Col. Maqbool said that the administration also banned entry of vehicles into the area during Muharram and announced weeklong holidays.
The mourning processions are being held in about 350 Imam Bargahs while security personnel in upper and lower Kurram Agency had also been deployed along with Jawans of Levies, Kurram Militia and Pakistan Army, he added.
He said the security forces deputed on all exit and entry points would halt the entry of saboteurs.