Military Spokesman Major General Asim Saleem Bajwa on Thursday said that the militants involved in the Army Public School (APS) massacre have been identified and smashed. Briefing newsmen here, he revealed that nine out of 27 terrorists involved in an attack on APS have been killed and six others were apprehended from Pakistan while six from Afghanistan.
“Two more culprits, including Mulla Fazlullah and Umar Ameer are still in Afghanistan. Both Pakistan and Afghanistan are constantly sharing intelligence and they will be arrested or eliminated soon,” he added. He further informed the media that they intercepted vital information which proved that the APS attack was carried out on the directions of Mulla Fazlullah, who through Umar Ameer supervised the attack. He further said that six suicide bombers were selected for the task. Other terrorists involved in this attack included Commander Asif alias Haji Kamran, Commander Atiq-ur-Rehman, Kaif Qari, Mudassir, Taj, Misbah, Hazrat Ali, Sabeel alias Yahya, Mujeeb-ur-Rehman, Saddam, Khurshid and Jabbani.
He further explained that the APS attackers reached Peshawar in two separate groups. The militants reached Jamrud and stayed there for at least four days in a house, he added. Both the groups got together in the morning and attacked the APS School. Group’s commander Ateequr Rehman has been caught. A confession video of Ateequr Rehman was also played and released to the press. Bajwa said that the name of the commander of the other group was Taj alias Imran. Commander Hazrat Ali, a resident of Frontier Region (FR) Peshawar had collected funds for the attack. The person in whose house they stayed at Jamrud has also been arrested. The terrorist Sabeel provided transport to the attackers and one group out of two resided in a house at the back of the APS.
Around 1942 operations were conducted in the entire country with the help of intelligence agencies after the December 16 APS attack, he added. He said the repatriation of 2 million Temporally Displaced Persons (TDPs) of FATA and North Waziristan has been planned in March. “We submitted a plan for TDPs to Ministry of Finance and the government also launched a campaign with international community”, he added.
Responding to a question about the capacity of military courts, Bajwa said that they have the capacity to deliver. As many as 12 cases of hardcore terrorists have been referred to military courts by provinces, he added. Responding to another question, DG Asim Bajwa said that India is funding banned organisation Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP) in Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Balochistan. He said that a banned outfit cannot function on such a big scale unless foreign powers are funding it. “India has been conducting illegal activities in Pakistan for a long time,” he added.
The DG ISPR said that India is violating the agreement with Pakistan on the Line of Control (LoC). He said that India is following a planned propaganda which could be quite dangerous. He said there is more extremism in India than in Pakistan. He said that military and civilian both always condemned drone attacks. To a question, the ISPR chief said the operation Zarb-e-Azb is continuing with success. He said that most of North Waziristan and Khyber Agency have been cleared and co-operation between Pakistan and Afghanistan for the elimination of terrorism is going strong. Over two thousand terrorists have so far been killed in the Zarb-e-Azb and the Khyber-One. Around 226 army personnel were martyred and 823 injured.