BUENOS AIRES: Rafael Nadal, who suffered an upset defeat in the Rio Open semi-finals at the weekend, said on Monday he was confident of taking another step towards recovering his best form in Buenos Aires this week.
The Spaniard, ranked fourth after Saturday’s loss to Fabio Fognini ended a run of 52 consecutive semi final wins on clay, will make his bow in the second round of the Argentine Open at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club on Wednesday.
“I’ve come here with a different motivation because I’ve had a spell that wasn’t good for me because for the last seven months I’ve been fairly inactive and had complications,” Nadal told a news conference.
“I’m closer to the level I want to reach which is why I feel, I’m taking little steps forward and that’s good. Recovery is like a ladder which you don’t climb running but rather step by step.”
The 28 year old, back at the tournament in Buenos Aires 10 years after his first visit, lost the number one ranking to Novak Djokovic last year after struggling with a right wrist injury.