Saudi Arabia announced on Friday that it would cease bombing in war-torn Yemen for five days hinting that it is bowing to international pressure.
Saudi foreign minister Adel-el Jubair said that the ceasefire will begin at 11pm on Tuesday, the New York Times reported. Jubeir was speaking at a conference in Paris which was attended by US secretary of state, John Kerry.
Jubeir said that the success of the ceasefire depended on cooperation by the Houthi forces, international media reported.
Saudi Arabia which is leading the Arab coalition attacking Yemen has faced growing international criticism over air strikes which have caused civilian deaths.
The war has killed over 1200 people and has displaced several thousand people who are now seeking refuge in bordering countries.
The Houthis which have links to Iran, have taken over several cities in Yemen and has forced the Yemeni President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi into exile.
Despite six weeks of bombings the Saudis have failed to achieve their prime target of restoring the Yemen government. Instead the country has been criticized for blocking aid, food and fuel to civilians.
A report issued by human rights watchdog, Amnesty International found that eight airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition on densely populated areas had killed at least 139 people, among them at least 97 civilians.
Meanwhile Doctors Without Borders, which has 31 international and 534 Yemeni staff on ground maintains that it has treated 1266 war wounded patients sinces March 19. “ It remains extremely difficult to move within the country to evaluate needs and provide assistance, due to the fighting and the airstrikes. Around 100 tonnes of medical supplies have been sent to Yemen by MSF so far,” the website states.