Just days ago, the Pentagon warned of deteriorating security in Afghanistan in the second half of 2015 and a rise in the number of effective strikes by Taliban insurgents.
Nato’s Resolute Support mission in Kabul said that the attack killed six Resolute Support troops and wounded three others but declined to provide the nationalities of casualties. A US official said all six killed were Americans.
More than 2,300 US troops have died in the Afghan war since the 2001 invasion. The police chief of Parwan province said three Afghan police had been wounded in the bombing, which was carried out just days after other suicide attacks on Kandahar air base in southern Afghanistan and on a Spanish embassy guesthouse in the Afghan capital, Kabul.
Bagram, around 40 km (25 miles) to the north of Kabul, is one of the main bases for the 9,800 US troops left in Afghanistan after international troops ended combat operations last year.
District Governor Abdul Shukur Qudusi said the suicide bomber detonated his explosives near a joint US-Afghan patrol. The attack underlined the Taliban’s ability to hit high-profile targets linked to the US-backed government, which wants to reopen the peace process aimed at ending the 14-year-long insurgency.
On Monday, Taliban forces in Helmand closed in on the district of Sangin as they tightened their grip on the volatile southern province. In a report to the US Congress released last week, the Pentagon said casualties among Afghan national defence and security forces, or ANDSF, rose 27 percent from January 1 to November 15, compared with the same period last year.