WEB DESK: American presidential candidate Donald Trump called for a complete shut down of Muslim immigrants to the United States, until they can figure out what is going on in the wake of terrorist attacks.
In a statement released on Monday, Trump included a recent poll which suggested how a sizable number of Muslims had “great hatred” towards the US.
“Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension,” Trump is quoted as saying in the statement. “Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life.”
At a rally in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina on Monday evening, Trump pointed to the statement he released earlier in the day.
“Should I read you the statement?” he asked.
The crowd enthusiastically agreed that he should.
“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what the hell is going on,” he said
“We have no choice. We have no choice,” Trump said. “We have no choice.”
Earlier in the rally, which was interrupted by protests, Trump said, “I have friends that are Muslims. They are great people — but they know we have a problem.”
His statement came after the California shootings which killed 14 Americans. The suspects include a Muslim couple with roots in Pakistan — who were shot dead following a police shootout.
Tashfeen Malik, thought to be the mastermind of the attack, hails from Bahawalpur, according to news reports.
It is thought that the Tashfeen and Syed Farook were ‘inspired’ by the Islamic State.
Source: Washington Post