HERAT: A service member in the NATO-led Resolute Support mission was killed and two others wounded on Monday in an apparent insider attack in Herat province, western Afghanistan, Resolute Support headquarters in Kabul said.
“Initial reports indicate the attack was committed by a member of the Afghan security forces,” a statement from the headquarters said, giving no other details.
The nationality of the service members was not released.
Taliban insurgents claimed responsibility for the attack, a Taliban spokesman said in an emailed statement.
Local officials said the incident occurred in Shindand district to the south of Herat city, an area with heavy Taliban presence, when a member of an Afghan unit opened fire.
The attack was the latest in a series this year in which U.S. or coalition troops have been killed by Afghan soldiers or police. Last month, U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis said training and vetting of Afghan forces was being stepped up to minimize the so-called insider attacks.
The incident came only days after the NATO commander in Afghanistan, General Scott Miller, escaped unhurt when the bodyguard of a provincial governor opened fire on a group of U.S. and Afghan officials in the southern province of Kandahar.–Reuters