RAWALPINDI: Director General ISPR Major General Asif Ghafoor has expressed concern over increasing ceasefire violations on the Line of Control and Working Boundary by the Indian forces.
Addressing a news conference in Rawalpindi on Thursday, he said fifty-five civilians have so far been martyred in the ceasefire violations by the Indian forces this year, which is the highest number in the history.
The DG ISPR said Indian forces are deliberately targeting civilians across the Line of Control.
He said Pakistan has taken several positive initiatives for peace with India, and the latest one is groundbreaking of Kartarpur corridor. He said the corridor will be constructed in six months and four thousand Sikh pilgrims will be able to visit the Kartarpur daily.
He said it will be one-way corridor from the Indian side to Kartarpur and the Sikh pilgrims will remain restricted to Kartarpur.
Major General Asif Ghafoor regretted that the Kartarpur corridor initiative was negatively presented in India. However, he hoped that India will positively respond to this goodwill gesture.
Giving overview of the domestic security situation, the DG ISPR said that law and order has greatly improved across the country.
He said seven to eight terrorist incidents would take place every month in 2013, which has considerably decreased.
He said civilian casualties have also decreased to a great extent. He expressed confidence that there will be complete peace in the country as a result of the ongoing stability operations.
DG ISPR said incidents of terrorism and other crimes like abduction and extortion have greatly decreased in erstwhile FATA, Balochistan, and Karachi.
He said a total of 2200 Ferraris have laid down their arms in Balochistan during three years.
He urged the disgruntled elements in Balochistan to relinquish their violent path and join the national mainstream.