A person is called diabetic when he/she has a fasting blood glucose level of greater than or equal to 126 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or has a non-fasting blood glucose level greater than or equal to 200 mg/dL along with symptoms of diabetes, or a glucose level of greater than or equal to 200 mg/dL on a two-hour glucose tolerance test, or when his/her HbA1c levels are greater than or equal to 6.5%.
Diabetes is a serious condition and it needs to be managed efficiently. Proper lifestyle changes are needed for most patients. Dietary habits are very crucial in managing the disease. Your food choices matter a lot but it should be remembered that nothing is completely off-limits. Even items that you might think of as “the worst" could be occasional treats -but in tiny amounts. But they won’t help you nutrition-wise, so it’s advised to manage your diabetes by sticking to healthy food options.
Here's a list of 25 food items that diabetics should avoid :
1) White bread
2) Processed grains, such as white rice or white flour
3) Cereals with little whole grains and lots of sugar
4) Fried meats
5) Poultry with skin
6) Deep-fried fish
7) Salty foods (as these can raise blood pressure.)
8) Canned vegetables with added sodium
9) Vegetables cooked with added butter, cheese, or sauce
10) Pickles (if you need to limit sodium.)
11) French fries, pizzas, and burgers.
12) Baked goods
13) Melons and Pineapples (as these two fruits are high on the Glycemic Index.)
14) Whole milk
15) Regular yogurt
16) Regular cheeses
17) Ice creams
18) Carbonated drinks
19) Alcohol (beer, wines, etc.)
20) Energy drinks
21) Sweetened tea or Coffee with cream
22) Refined sugar
23) Artificially flavored fruit drinks or chocolate drinks
24) Saturated and trans-fats-containing products
(These unhealthful fats can make a person with diabetes feel worse. Many fried and processed foods, including fries, chips, and baked goods, etc contain these types of fats.)
25) Canned fruits, jams, jellies, and preserves.
Avoid these unhealthy food products and live a fit and blissful life. Also, remember to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly and consult the doctor whenever you feel unwell.