Aaj.tv Logo

2 police officials removed, 2 suspended for negligence in Minar-e-Pakistan incident

20 Aug, 2021
The provincial government also suspended director and deputy director of the Greater Iqbal Park. Reuters
The provincial government also suspended director and deputy director of the Greater Iqbal Park. Reuters

The Punjab police suspended two police officials and removed the two others for failing to respond on time in the assault at Minar-e-Pakistan incident.

This was decided in a meeting chaired by Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar on Friday who was reviewing the progress related to the incident. The meeting was attended by Provincial Minister for Law Raja Basharat, IGP Inam Ghani, additional home chief secretary and principal secretary to chief minister.

IGP Ghani tweeted the picture of the notification which stated Lahore SSP Operations Syed Nadeem Abbas and Lahore Additional SP Operations Hassan Jahangir were removed while Badami Bagh SDPO DSP Usman Haider and Lorry Adda SHO S I Muhammad were suspended from their posts.

Meanwhile, the provincial government also suspended director and deputy director of the Greater Iqbal Park.

The Punjab IGP further said: “Strict departmental action will be taken once the enquiry committee submits its detailed report on the role and response of other officers.”

According to Aaj News, Minister for Prisons and government of Punjab Spokesperson Fayazul Hassan Chohan said so far 20 people accused pf harassing the woman had been apprehended.

The Punjab police with the assistance of National Database and Registration Authority was tracing the other accused involved in the incident, he added.

The provincial minister said the action was being taken against the accused under Section 354-A.

So far the police have 30 men in custody after investigating 100 men suspected to be involved in the incident. According to the SSP Investigation Lahore Mansoor Aman, at least 20,000 people were present in the vicinity of the Greater Iqbal Park when the assault on a woman occurred. The police were also conducting scrutiny of them, he said.

He added 30 videos and 60 pictures related to the incident had been sent to Nadra for the identification of the accused.