Some of our top stories
- Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif would arrive in Karachi on a day-long visit on Saturday (today). He would review the development projects in the city. PM Shehbaz would also offer his condolences to former president Asif Ali Zardari over the demise of the latter’s mother.
- Coronavirus resurgence. The rate of Covid positivity ratio was recorded at 3.91% over the last 24 hours, according to the NIH.
- The Chinese consortium’s loan of $2.3 billion (RMB 15 billion) has been credited into the SBP account, Finance Minister Miftah Ismail said in a tweet on Friday.
- United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has said there was a “real risk” of multiple famines this year and urged ministers meeting on food security to take practical steps to stabilise food markets and reduce commodity price volatility.
- Electricity gets more expensive for Karachi consumers. The National Electric Power Regulatory Authority has notified an Rs5.27 per unit increase in the power price for K-Electric power consumers on account of monthly fuel charges adjustment.
- More than Rs1,000 billion worth of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir budget would be presented on Saturday (today) in the region’s Legislative Assembly. The cabinet has decided that the one-day salary of all ministers and Grade officers would be given to Afghanistan earthquake victims. A 15% rise in employee salaries and pension is expected.